• FRS Law Group

    (Flinn, Ruble & Salazar)

    Elgin IL: 224-276-6641
  • FRS Law Group

    (Flinn, Ruble & Salazar)

    Sycamore IL: 630-202-1559
  • Donahue & Walsh, P.C.
    McHenry IL: 815-889-2364
  • Granger & Donahue
    Rockford IL: 779-203-9049
  • Cohen & Donahue
    Palatine IL: 847-452-5124
PI Attorneys of Northern Illinois

A Proven Leader In Illinois Criminal Defense And Real Estate Law

How can you expunge or seal your criminal record in Illinois?

If you have a criminal record, you likely understand the obstacles you might face as a result. Depending on your circumstances, you may have already paid fines and restitution, served time and fulfilled community service requirements. But after meeting the terms of your sentencing, you could still face problems related to getting into college, making housing arrangements and finding employment offers.

In some circumstances, you can petition the court to get your records expunged or sealed, to clear your record altogether or limit access from the general public. However, you may not be familiar with the steps you will need to take to make that happen.

3 Things you can do

When you want to clear your record, there are certain steps you will need to take. Although there are no guarantees, you can initiate the process after completing your sentence.

The necessary steps include:

· Get your documents together - Ask the police for copies of your criminal records. Your court documents show your arrest history, charges, and the outcomes of your cases. You will need to submit these documents to the court when you file your petition.

· Choose whether you would like your record expunged or sealed - Depending on the specifics of your case, you might be able to erase any arrest for which you were not convicted or in cases where your convictions were pardoned or reversed. Meanwhile, if at least three years have gone by since you completed your sentencing, you might be able to seal, or hide, your records.

· File your request to expunge and/or seal your records - Once you determine which of your offenses might qualify for expungement versus the ones eligible to be sealed, you can apply accordingly.

Prior to the passing of the Criminal Identification Act, many convictions removed your opportunity to petition for expungement. However, in most circumstances, you can now petition to clear your record.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact An Experienced Attorney

Se Habla Espanol

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Donahue &
Walsh, P.C.





Granger &

Cohen &

Palatine Office
800 E Northwest Highway
Suite 602
Palatine, IL 60074

Phone: 815-889-2364
Phone: 847-452-5124
Fax: 847-930-1135
Palatine Law Office Map

Elgin Office
2400 Big Timber Road
Suite 108
Elgin, IL 60123

Phone: 815-889-2364
Phone: 224-276-6641
Fax: 847-930-1135
Elgin Law Office Map

McHenry Office
4310 Crystal Lake Road
Suite C-D
McHenry, IL 60050

Phone: 815-322-9678
Phone: 815-889-2364
Fax: 815-344-8922
Map & Directions

Sycamore Office
145 S. Sacramento Street
Sycamore, IL 60178

Phone: 815-322-9678
Phone: 630-202-1559
Fax: 847-930-1135
Sycamore Law Office Map

Rockford Office
One Court Place
Suite 100
Rockford, IL 61101

Phone: 815-322-9678
Phone: 779-203-9049
Fax: 815-329-6768
Rockford Law Office Map